The Planning Commission was established by Mayor & City Council in 1987 with the adoption of Chapter 33 of the Lewes City Code, consisting of not less than 5 and not more than 9 members appointed by the Mayor & City Council for staggered terms of 3-years.
The Planning Commission’s authority has been vested by the State of Delaware in Chapter 7, Title 22 of the Delaware Code and by Resolution of the Lewes Mayor & City Council.
It is the responsibility of the Planning Commission to review and make recommendations to Mayor & City Council regarding land development, major & minor subdivision applications, amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and the updating of the Lewes Comprehensive Plan.
- Drew McKay - Chairperson
- Melanie Moser - Vice Chairperson
- Sumner Crosby - Secretary
- Joe Hoechner - Liaison to HPARC
- Nancy Staisey, PhD
- Bob Heffernan
- Thomas Jensen
- Debra Evalds
- Jonathan Sharp, PhD
- Khalil Saliba - City Council (ex-officio)
- Ted Becker - Mayor (ex-officio)
- Tom Panetta- Board of Public Works (ex-officio)
- Ann Marie Townshend - City Manager (ex-officio)
- Glenn Mandalas - Attorney
- Janelle Cornwell, AICP - Municipal Planning & Development Officer
- Jacqueline Doherty - Recording Secretary
The Planning Commission meets the third Wednesday of each month at 6:30pm. Meetings are held with Council Chambers at City Hall, unless otherwise noted.
Pending applications may be reviewed and comments may be submitted on the City’s development review page.
- Planning Commission Bylaws
- Delaware Code, Title 22, Chapter 7
- Chapter 170 - Subdivision and Land Development
- Chapter 197 - Zoning
Work on the following projects is coordinated by designated subcommittees:
- Wetlands Buffer Subcommittee - Complete
- Floodplain Fill Subcommittee - Complete
- Sea Level Rise Subcommittee - Tom Panetta, Chair
- Action Plan Subcommittee - Complete
- Floodplain Subcommittee - Complete
- Annexation Subcommittee - Melanie Moser, Chair
- Subdivision Code Subcommittee - Nancy Staisey, Chair
The link in Development Reviews will take you to the active development page.