The City of Lewes collects trash weekly on Monday and Tuesday from Labor Day through the end of June. The day your trash is collected depends on where your property is located. If you have any questions, please see the schedule below or contact the City of Lewes at 302-645-7777.
Trash and Recycling are picked up on a weekly basis as per the City Services Schedule below.
Regularly scheduled trash collection will be moved forward one day for the following City holidays:
Holidays Through March 2024
- Monday January 2, 2023 - New Years Day
- Monday January 16, 2023 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Monday February 20, 2023 - Presidents’ Day
- Monday May 29, 2023 - Memorial Day
- Monday June 19, 2023 - Juneteenth
- Tuesday July 4, 2023 - Independence Day
- Monday September 4, 2023 - Labor Day
- Monday December 25, 2023 - Christmas Day
- Tuesday December 26, 2023 - Day after Christmas Day
- Monday January 1, 2024 - New Years Day
- Monday January 15, 2024 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Monday February 19, 2024 - President's Day
As per the City of Lewes Code, all trash, garbage, and rubbish containers shall be removed from the front of any given property within 24 hours. They should be emptied by the collector and, when full, shall be placed along the curb in front of the property not sooner than noon of the day preceding the day that same normally will be collected by the collector.
Trash and Recycle Cart Fee Change Effective Immediately
The City is changing the price of the 64-gallon trash cart from $48 to $70 per cart effective immediately. The 96-gallon trash and recycling cart originally priced at $70 has been increased to $80. In our efforts to replenish our trash and recycle cart inventories, city expenses relating to the purchase price and shipping costs have increased significantly therefore necessitating these fee changes. In the past the City of Lewes received a grant from the State of Delaware for recycle carts and passed on this savings to our property owners by offering free recycle carts. This grant funding is no longer available to the city. Sometimes the Maintenance Department staff can fix minor repairs to carts such as a damaged lid, malfunctioning wheel, or broken handle. When your trash or recycle carts are damaged beyond these repairs new carts must be purchased by the property owner. If you have questions or if you need a new cart, please contact City Hall at 302-645-7777.
For further information, please go to the City Code, Chapter 106, Garbage, Rubbish & Refuse.