The Planning Commission was established by Mayor & City Council in 1987 with the adoption of Chapter 33 of the Lewes City Code, consisting of not less than 5 and not more than 9 members appointed by the Mayor & City Council for staggered terms of 3-years.
The Planning Commission’s authority has been vested by the State of Delaware in Chapter 7, Title 22 of the Delaware Code and by Resolution of the Lewes Mayor & City Council.
It is the responsibility of the Planning Commission to review and make recommendations to Mayor & City Council regarding land development, major & minor subdivision applications, amendments to the Zoning Ordinance and the updating of the Lewes Comprehensive Plan.
- Drew McKay - Chairperson
- Kay Carnahan - Vice Chairperson
- Melanie Moser - Secretary
- Joe Hoechner - Liaison to HPARC
- John Nehrbas
- Sumner Crosby
- Nancy Staisey
- Thomas Panetta
- Bob Heffernan
- Bonnie Osler - City Council (ex-officio)
- Ted Becker - Mayor (ex-officio)
- Tom Owen - Board of Public Works (ex-officio)
- Ann Marie Townshend - City Manager (ex-officio)
- Glenn Mandalas - Attorney
- Janelle Cornwell, AICP - Municipal Planning & Development Officer
- Jacqueline Doherty - Recording Secretary
The Planning Commission meets the third Wednesday of each month at 6:00pm. Meetings are held with Council Chambers at City Hall, unless otherwise noted.
Pending applications may be reviewed and comments may be submitted on the City’s development review page.
- Planning Commission Bylaws
- Delaware Code, Title 22, Chapter 7
- Chapter 170 - Subdivision and Land Development
- Chapter 197 - Zoning
Work on the following projects is coordinated by designated subcommittees:
- Wetlands Buffer Subcommittee - Kay Carnahan, Chair
- Floodplain Fill Subcommittee - Melanie Moser, Chair
- Sea Level Rise Subcommittee - Tom Panetta, Chair
- Action Plan Subcommittee - Kay Carnahan, Chair
- Floodplain Subcommittee - Melanie Moser, Chair
- Annexation Subcommittee - Sumner Crosby, Chair